White Paper: Design Considerations—Roads, Rivers, and Rail: Structural Culvert Rehabilitation
Dear Stormwater Professional,
Failing culverts pose serious hazards to drivers, businesses, and rail traffic. It is incumbent upon design engineers and owner-managers to ensure structures are sound and reliable. DOT, county, municipal, and railway maintenance and engineering divisions play a critical role in conducting routine inspections and repairs. Many repairs must be accomplished with zero to minimal impact on businesses, residents, and traffic—whether military, interstate commerce, county and municipal, or rail. Further complicating some repairs is the need for environmental sensitivity, for instance, protecting fish passages.
Our friends at AP/M Permaform provided this design guide to address aging infrastructure by outlining design considerations for structural culvert rehabilitation. This report features two separate projects requiring heavy load rating repairs without closures to aboveground road and rail. One of these cases also illustrates precautions implemented to protect a recognized trout stream.
In any rehabilitation project, critical factors in evaluating solutions include: site accessibility, space availability required for equipment associated with repair solution options, activity level of the road or rail line and associated cost/business impact of closure, and temperature considerations relevant to various repair solutions.
When you read Design Considerations—Roads, Rivers, and Rail: Structural Culvert Rehabilitation, you will:
- Discover when specifying and applying centrifugally cast concrete pipe (CCCP) technology makes sense
- Learn the key material properties centrifugally cast concrete should have to be effective in structural culvert rehabilitation
- Find out how to handle water diversion efficiently and safely to protect local fauna
- Understand how to calculate load response behavior and how it factors in culvert rehabilitation
Have you ever wondered:
- What the best methods are for no-dig culvert repairs in remote areas?
- What the design engineering community should know about key material properties of CCCP?
- How to deal with complications like ensuring roadways and bridges remain open to traffic while undergoing rehab?
If any of these questions intrigue you… if there’s anything in the structural culvert rehabilitation you think you still have to learn… download this FREE white paper now, before your attention turns to other matters.
This white paper, written by experts, is comprehensive and FREE. Read it now, and learn how Design Considerations—Roads, Rivers, and Rail: Structural Culvert Rehabilitation can help you reduce culvert repair & restoration costs while reducing project time.
Publishers of Stormwater
P.S. This invaluable technical paper is exclusive to Stormwater readers.